analogy is used to explain or illuminate one thing or idea by comparison to another unrelated thing or idea
- = a comparison of two dissimilar things
- also, corresponding to, representative of, in proportion to
- from ana- ("into", according to") + -logy (of the word)
- ana- from PIE *gwa- for "to go, come"
analogy rhetorical devices[edit | edit source]
metaphor[edit | edit source]
- a comparison without the words "as" or "like"
- ex. "She is the workhorse of the office"
- frequently, a metaphor is created by dropping the comparison words "as" or "like"
- ex. "The sun is a red hot iron on my forehead"
simile[edit | edit source]
- makes a direct comparison
- note that "such as" provides an example whereas "like" makes a comparison